Coronavirus disease 2019 known as COVID 19 is a respiratory virus that affects the people with chronic illnesses, weak immune systems and old age more. This doesn’t means that if you have one of such risk factor then you panic, rather it is time to keep taking the right steps to prevent this virus. It is all the more imperative for the people who require frequent dialysis and has to visit Dialysis Centre.
There are many people in Chandigarh and its vicinity like Mohali, Kharar, Panchkula and Zirakpur who are facing kidney related problems and require dialysis from time to time. In the midst of Corona Virus Pandemic, it becomes all the more important to be vigilant and proactive when it comes to your medical condition. Even if you are admitted to hospital for a confirmed or suspected case of corona virus, you should receive dialysis.
Here, we have compiled specific Dialysis tips during this Coronavirus Pandemic so that you can be safe and healthy all the time:
1) First and foremost, you must inform the Dialysis Department about your condition regarding covid19 before visiting the Dialysis Centre. As there are significant number of corona positive cases in Chandigarh and its surrounding areas. You should inform about the hospital if you have any symptom of Corona Virus infection like:
- Sore throat
- Running nose
- Shortness of breath
- Body ache or fatigue (feeling of tiredness)
2) You should also inform the Dialysis Hospital if you have been in contact with any Covid19 patient or any family member of yours is suffering from this infection. In Chandigarh, such cases are also quite high. Hence, you need to give authentic information so that nobody’s health is jeopardise in these times.
3) You should try to reach the dialysis centre on your personal vehicle. If possible you should be alone without any attendant as this will limit the access to infection.
4) Generally, all patients have to wait outside the dialysis unit and they get the specific instructions from the staff. You should not hurry and be thorough with the given instructions.
5) Maintain the social distancing norms while waiting for dialysis i.e. remaining 6 feet apart from others.
6) Wash your hands thoroughly: It is best way to keep away from getting sick and spreading this virus. The right way to wash your hands is just what you were taught at school. Yes! The good old ‘7 steps to wash the hands’ for at least for 20 seconds.
7) Patients with respiratory infections need to put the mask before entering the dialysis centre and keep the mask on their face, the whole while.
8) Patients should follow cough etiquettes like coughing or sneezing using the handkerchief, tissue or the inside of the elbow.
9) Suspected or positive Covid19 patients need to wear a deposable three-layer surgical mask throughout their visit to the dialysis centre.
10) Finally, in no situation you should opt for skipping or postponing the dialysis it as it may complicate your situation further. If your dialysis centre is far off- it is best to search for ‘Dialysis Centre near me’ so that the dialysis facilities could be located near your residence.
There are also some general guidelines also that you need to follow once you leave the dialysis centre so that you can keep Corona Virus at bay:
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth as these are the most vulnerable passages through which the corona virus could enter your body.
- Avoid touching the surfaces in public places.
- Switch to Namaste over handshakes or hugs to avoid getting contaminated by corona virus.
- Stay at home as much as possible. Cancel unimportant appointments and leave home only when really required.
- Contact doctor if you feel sick.
- Wear mask when you go out-whether you have symptoms or not.
- Use alcohol based hand sanitizers frequently
It is crucial that you are following these preventive measures to ward off this infection from spreading. We at Healing Hospital in Chandigarh, are also following all the possible safety procedures to make sure that we prevent this infection completely.
- Our dialysis unit ensure that we have optimum stock of masks and sanitizers in the screening area (all the time) to provide to the patients and their attendants if any.
- The health status of everyone including the staff, visitors and patients is monitored every time they enter the facility.
- We are continuously identifying high risk individuals and screening them for fever or symptoms of respiratory infection.
- Our Dialysis specialists are thoroughly equipped with the preventive methodology to negate the risk of corona infection in the facility.
- In case, screening identifies any symptom, the individual receive treatment in isolation.
It is the joint responsibility of the hospital, staff and patients to take the necessary steps to keep corona virus from affecting the high risk individuals especially those who are visiting hospital to get treatment.
The health care team at Healing Hospital is always with you in case you require any support related to dialysis or any other kidney related treatments. Our Dialysis Specialists will make best possible arrangements for you in the midst of Corona Virus Pandemic so that you don’t run the risk of this infection along with your kidney problems.
Have any questions?
[contact-form-7 id=”3698″ title=”blog”]