Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery or heart bypass surgery is a procedure that improves blood flow to the heart. To bypass the damaged arteries, a surgeon uses blood vessels from another part of the body. This procedure is performed when coronary arteries become blocked or damaged.
Coronary arteries carry oxygenated blood to your heart. The heart does not function correctly if these arteries are obstructed or blood flow is restricted. This can lead to heart failure as well.
Your surgeon will give you instructions on how to prepare for your heart bypass surgery in the weeks leading up to the procedure. It’s crucial to remember that heart bypass surgery is a sort of open-heart surgery, and the recovery period might be lengthy.
· Incorporate healthy lifestyle changes
· Make necessary arrangements in advance
· Visit a dentist
· Pack your hospital bag
· Speak with your doctor
However, there are a number of things that you can do ahead of time to prepare for your surgery and reduce the chance of complications during and after the procedure.
- Incorporate healthy lifestyle changes: These include things like eating a healthy diet, exercising, and you already know what you need to quit. You’ve undoubtedly heard about quitting smokingfrom your doctor a few times. If you haven’t been able to break the habit yet, now is a good opportunity to give it another shot.
Smoking raises the likelihood of surgical complications and slows the recovery process. When compared to non-smokers, people who continue to smoke even after heart surgery have nearly twice the risk of heart attack, stroke, and death.
Consult your doctor about quitting smoking programmes and choose the one that suits your needs. All these modifications and limiting your alcohol intake could make a significant difference in how quickly you recover after your heart bypass surgery.
Also Read: https://www.healinghospital.co.in/heart-bypass-surgery-purpose-procedure-risks-recovery/
- Make necessary arrangements in advance: Returning home after a bypass surgery necessitates preparation prior to surgery. During your first few weeks at home, you will require the assistance of a caregiver. If you live alone, you must find a caregiver, such as a friend or a family member. Another alternative is to hire a home health attendant.
While you try to rebuild your strength, this caregiver will assist you with both your health and your home. For up to 8 weeks after the surgery, many people are physically unable to undertake simple household tasks, therefore help becomes very necessary.
Also, prepare a recovery room with the items you’ll require which can be easily within your reach. You might even want to prepare and freeze some food ahead of time for backup.
- Visit a dentist: Heart health and oral health are linked and therefore most people undergoing heart surgery are required to get dental clearance because some oral germs can migrate to the heart.
You’ll need a test and X-rays to prove that you’re healthy enough for the surgery. A letter from your dentist confirming your dental health will be required by your cardiology team.
- Pack your hospital bag: You will be in the hospital for several days following heart bypass surgery. Spend a few days organising the items you wish to bring with you to the hospital. A list of your current medications is required.
Prescriptions, over-the-counter medications, herbal treatments, and vitamins should all be included. Your insurance card will also be required. Also, don’t forget to add all that you will require in your bag as well.
- Speak with your doctor: Before your surgery, you will receive a variety of written material that needs to be examined. Make sure to inquire about your prescriptions, and also about which ones should be continued and which should be discontinued.
Discuss the hazards of the surgery and how to deal with them. Also, find out whether you’ll be admitted to the hospital prior to surgery or not.
Looking for the best cardiology hospital in Chandigarh? Book an appointment here: https://www.healinghospital.co.in/cardiology-department/