We hear that some of you have recently embraced motherhood, while the rest of you can’t wait to bring your bundle of joy into this world. The birthing process and delivery can take a toll on a woman’s body.
You have nothing to worry about, as we at Healing Hospital, Chandigarh prioritize the well being of your body, mind and soul.
The postpartum period begins immediately after the birth of your new-born and lasts for 6-8 weeks. It is a crucial phase, when the mother’s body is weak and exhausted.
Besides ample rest, a nutritious diet, which is rich in vitamins, calcium and iron not only helps the warrior-mother regain her strength, but also ensures a holistic nourishment of the baby who is breastfed by the mother. So, the mantra is that: you eat for two at regular intervals.
Dietary Essentials for a New Mother
|Examples and Forms
|Foods generating from wheat, cornmeal, barley, oats, rice, or any other cereal
grain are grain products. Nutritionists have claimed that sprouted grains are
healthier than their dried counterparts, and both shall be mixed.
|Grains, like ragi are rich in iron and calcium, while oats arewholesome and contain iron, proteins, calcium, and carbohydrates.
|The portion of vegetables in the post-natal period shall be variant, from green vegetables to legumes & starchy vegetables. Such vegetables can be
consumed as khichadi or with chapattis. Gassy vegetables like potatoes,
|Green vegetables, such as
spinach, are rich source of iron,
folate and Vitamin A. Bottle
gourd (लौकी) assists in proper
hydration, weight loss, post-
weaning of the child, and is rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, folate, iron. Citrus fruits help in strengthening the immune system
and boost milk production for
|Many nutritionists support the
consumption of fresh cow milk by the
mothers. Ghee shall be consumed to
regain strength, but in moderation to
avoid excessive fat.Panjiri is made with ghee, wheat flour
|The consumption of dairy shall be
low in fat and high in calcium.
They aid in lactation and bone
|Nutritionists support the intake of lean
and low-fat proteins by the mothers.
Lean meat, eggs and salmon-based
dishes are protein sources for non-
vegetarian mothers, while vegetarian
mothers cater to their body’s protein
requirements by consumptions of dals
|Lean meat is not only rich in
protein but also iron and vitamin
B12. Consumption of eggs rich
with DHA are said to increase
fatty acids, making the breast
milk more nutritious for the
baby. Salmon based dishes not
only help in the brain
development of the child but also
checks the mood swings of the
Seeds and Spices from Your Kitchen
- Aniseeds (सौंफ): Aniseeds can be added to paranthas and sweet savories like laddoos. They aid in digestion and help to cleanse the uterus.
- Fengureek seeds (मेथी): Fenugreek seeds shall be taken along with the main vegetable cooked and can be stir-fried with some onion and garlic. They can also be added to panjeeri and laddoo. They not only boost the energy of the mother, but also increase the milk production for breastfeeding
- Cumin Seeds (जीरा): Cumin seeds are recommended to be consumed in powdered form, along with some jaggery and milk. It is an antioxidant which is rich in calcium and iron. It is known to improve the new mother’s blood circulation, digestive system and immunity, along with improving milk production for breastfeeding.
- Sesame Seeds (तिल): Sesame seeds are used to make laddoos and chikkis, and are added to panjeeris. They contain iron, copper, magnesium, and calcium, and help in regulating bowel movements.
- Carom seeds (अजवाइन): Carom seeds are handy in resolving indigestion and gastric problems faced by new mothers. A spoonful of carom seeds shall be boiled in water and stirred. It is claimed to work wonders.
- Turmeric: It is consumed with milk, because of its healing properties, and assistance in weight-loss.
It cannot be stressed enough that you need to keep yourself hydrated during the postpartum period. Drink plenty of water to replenish the fluids that your body has lost in the birthing process. In addition, it cures swelling, treats constipation and prevents urinary problems in the
What should you avoid?
It is advised that new mothers shall avoid junk food. Most of them are fried and contain fatty acids which are harmful for both the mother and the child. Intake of alcohol and caffeine shall be avoided.
The latter adversely affects the sleeping pattern of the babies of breastfeeding mothers. In addition, fishes like swordfish, tilefish and tuna are high in mercury which is a toxin and unhealthy for the baby to consume.
Talk to your nutritionist
It is advised that expecting mothers and new mothers shall consult and talk to their respective nutrition counselors. Post-natal visits and attention is crucial.
We, at Healing Hospital, Chandigarh thrive to provide the best for you and your child. Our affordable care-package for the expecting mothers and their little bundles of joy include the assistance of our dietary consultant, who we proudly claim to be the best in your vicinity.
As we also extend our services of tele-consultation, we’ll be happy to help you know the details of our affordable and best maternity and child-care services, through: https://healinghospital.co.in/mother-and-child-care-hospital-in-chandigarh/.
As you wish to make healthier choices for yourself and your baby, we’re happy to walk every step of this journey with you.
Have any questions?
[contact-form-7 id=”3698″ title=”blog”]