Baby’s birth is one of the most amazing as well as complex process. A baby needs to adjust a lot once outside the mother’s body. There is now no support system of mother’s womb for carrying on the vital bodily functions.
Why baby require NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit)?
Babies are completely dependent on their mothers for everything including nutrient supply, breathing, immune protection etc. prior to their birth. But when a baby leaves the mother’s womb, baby’s body must function properly. For example:
- Lungs should be able to breathe air properly
- The pulmonary circulation as well as cardiac circulation must change
- Digestive system must be able to process and digest food
- Kidney should remove waste from body and also work properly for balancing chemicals and fluids in baby’s body
- Immune system and liver must work on their own after delivery
If your baby’s body isn’t working properly or shows any signs of any medical problem after delivery then NICU plays crucial role in saving your baby. It provides a comprehensive support system for your baby.
You should therefore select the best and most reputed hospital for neonatology. To contact our neonatal care and medical services you can click at https://healinghospital.co.in/mother-and-child-care-hospital-in-chandigarh/
What is NICU (Neonatal intensive care unit)?
NICU (Neonatal intensive care unit) is a specialized place that is designed and equipped with very sophisticated machines and equipments. It also has specially trained healthcare professional that you can trust completely when it comes to your newborn baby. Sometimes babies that don’t have serious medical issues are also treated in NICU but require strict monitoring and nursing care. The babies born in the hospital with NICU facility has significant chances of overcoming health issues as compared to other hospitals. It is the main reason why you should only opt for the hospital that has NICU facility so that the medical complications of the new born can be handled with expertise. You can know more about our maternity hospital with highly advanced and specialized neonatal care in Chandigarh at https://healinghospital.co.in/mother-and-child-care-hospital-in-chandigarh/
Why babies need special care after birth?
Most of the babies that are admitted to NICU are of low birth weight (5 pound or less) and preterm (born before 37 weeks of pregnancy). Also, the cases where baby has health problems after birth, they are also referred to NICU at the soonest. These health conditions can be infections, heart problem, breathing trouble, birth defects and many more depending on different cases. It is also observed that twins, triplets and multiples often require NICU for their survival. There are
several other maternal factors that leads to requirement of NICU and these are –
- Mothers with the age of more than 40 years
- Drug or alcohol addicts/ Drugs and alcohol usage during pregnancy
- High diabetes
- High blood pressure or hypertension
- Bleeding or heavy blood loss during pregnancy
- Very high or very less amniotic fluid
- Multiple pregnancy (twins, triplets or more)
- Premature rupture of membranes (commonly known as bag of water)
To read more about high risk pregnancy and how to handle it, click at https://healinghospital.co.in/7-practical-tips-for-managing-a-high-risk-pregnancy-healing-hospital-chandigarh/
There are also, other factors regarding baby delivery that can lead to the need of NICU, these are:
- Lack of oxygen (fetal distress or birth asphyxia) and changes in baby’s organ functioning because of that.
- Baby delivered in abnormal position or breech birth
- Passing of meconium (commonly known as first stool) into amniotic fluid during pregnancy
- Cesarean delivery or forceps
- Umbilical cord wrapped around the baby’s neck
- Babies born at gestational age of more than 42 weeks or less than 37 weeks
- Baby weight during delivery is less than 5 pounds (2500 grams) or more than 8 pounds (4000 grams)
- Birth defects
- Respiratory distress (grunting, rapid breathing or stopped breathing)
- Infections such as chlamydia, group B streptococcus and herpes
- Low blood sugar
- Need of oxygen, monitoring of baby’s health, specific medicines given to baby, Intravenous (IV) therapy
Neonatologist: Neonatologist is a pediatrician who is specialized in giving care to sick and premature babies. They understand the risks involved in treating fragile body and immune system of baby; thus they use specific and very safe measures for treatment.
Neonatal fellow: He/she is a pediatrician getting extra training in giving handling sick babies and premature babies.
Neonatal nurse practitioner: This is registered nurse who has specialized training in taking care of the newborns. NICU nurse assists neonatologist in giving care to babies.
Respiratory therapist: This medical professional has special training in giving respiratory support that includes managing breathing machines and oxygen levels.
Dietitians, Lactation expert: These specialists ensure that babies are getting balanced nutrients so they can grow well. They keep a close eye on your baby’s intake (minerals, proteins, vitamins and calories etc.)
Pharmacists: They give assistance to NICU by offering best medications available for children. They also check doses and levels of medicines. They also inform the care giving team about the potential side-effects of medications and what to monitor after each dose of medicine.
We are well aware of the distress it can cause to the family especially to the parents when they have their newborn in NICU. But it is the most secured place for the baby after the mother’s womb where almost all the conditions of the womb are replicated to cause minimum distress and to accelerate the recovery rate of the baby.
At Healing Hospital, we ensure that all the early arrivals receive specialized treatment. Our neonatologists offer the best possible solutions to treat the medical condition of the baby. Our Neonatal Care Unit is well equipped with most sophisticated medical and surgical care to the new born babies. We have Level III NICU and intensive care specialists will always be at beck and call to take care of any complications that might arise. You can make an appointment with our neonatologists at https://healinghospital.co.in/mother-and-child-care-hospital-in-chandigarh/
Have any questions?
[contact-form-7 id=”3698″ title=”blog”]