Knee pain that develops gradually or as a result of more vigorous activities than normal can be treated at home. Knee pain caused by a mild injury can also usually be safely monitored for a day or two to evaluate if self-care approaches are effective. In case of long-term knee pain caused by arthritis, weight loss and exercises to strengthen the muscles around the joint can help.
Schedule an appointment with doctors for knee pain in Chandigarh if your knee pain was triggered by a particularly severe hit, or if it’s accompanied by significant swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth around the joint, fever and severe pain. Meet a doctor also if knee pain persists or develops to the point that it interferes with your daily activities or sleep.
You can take care of your knee pain by following some dos and don’ts and by undergoing certain treatments by doctors for knee pain in Chandigarh to bid your knee joint pain goodbye.
1. Dos and Don’ts for Knee Joint Pain
2. Treatment for Knee Joint Pain
Dos and Don’ts for Knee Joint Pain
- Exercise: Exercising daily for at least 15 minutes is beneficial for the overall health of the body. Doing cardio exercises, weight training and stretching helps in increasing bone flexibility, strengthening the muscles and supporting the knees.
- Consider acupuncture: Acupuncture is a form of treatment that involves inserting very thin needles into a person’s skin at different depths at specific points on the body. Studies have shown that acupuncture can relieve pain and get rid of a variety of other ailments too. Therefore, considering acupuncture for knee pain may also prove to be beneficial.
- Apply heat/ice packs: Using a cold compress as a first-aid after a knee injury can reduce swelling and discomfort. Using it three to four times a day for 15 to 20 minutes per time may provide relief. After that, you may also take a warm bath, use a heating pad, or wrap yourself in a warm towel for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Prevent from falling: A painful knee can increase the risk of a fall and cause more damage to the knee. This damage must be prevented at all costs. You may take some preventive measures for the same such as making your home well-lit, using handrails on staircases, using a ladder or stool to reach something on a high shelf, etc.
- Wear appropriate shoes: Cushioned insoles may help to relieve knee pain. Orthopaedic doctors usually prescribe special insoles for shoes if you have knee osteoarthritis. Consult an orthopaedic doctor to determine the best insole for you.
- Get expert advice: It is always best to know the reason behind the knee pain, and so consulting the doctor at the very initiation of the pain is advised.
- Don’t rest in excess: Resting too much can loosen your muscles and thus can increase knee joint pain. So, rest in moderation and involve yourself in an active lifestyle to reduce the pain.
- Don’t stress your joints: Avoid strenuous exercises such as running, jumping, etc. if you have knee joint pain. Added stress on the knees may worsen the knee pain and may also cause injury.
Treatments for Knee Joint Pain
- Physiotherapy: Working with a physiotherapist can help in restoring knee strength and reduce pain in the joint. Your doctor may prescribe a certain home-based exercise regime, medicines and ice and compression for quicker recovery.
- Injections: One of the most common injections for knee joint pain is Corticosteroid injection. Such injections can lubricate the joint and provide temporary relief. While the pain can be treated temporarily through these injections, they cannot heal the meniscus tear.
- Anti-inflammatory medicines: Anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen and aspirin can help in reducing swelling and cure the pain.
- Knee Surgery: You may resort to surgery if the injury is serious or if symptoms persist even after nonsurgical procedures. Depending on your specific condition, you can undergo a partial meniscectomy to treat a meniscal tear or a complete knee replacement to relieve arthritis joint pain and regain knee function.
Looking for doctors for knee pain in Chandigarh? Click here to book an appointment: https://healinghospital.co.in/book-an-appointment/