Kidney stones are hard deposits formed by the build-up of minerals such as calcium or waste products such as uric acid in the kidneys. They are tiny when they are formed, but as more minerals add to them, they may grow larger.
Some kidney stones move on their own and can be treated with home remedies, while other kidney stones can get trapped in your urinary tract. In the latter case, surgery is usually required to get rid of these painful kidney stones.
| Types of Kidney Stone Surgery:
1. Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy
2. Open Surgery
-Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy
Following are some of the types of kidney stone treatment in Chandigarh:
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy: This surgery is opted if your kidney stone is large or if other therapies do not help. Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy surgery uses a narrow tube to penetrate the stone and use high-frequency sound waves to break it up.
- Open Surgery: In today’s time, kidney stones are rarely treated with open surgery. Open surgery is done only if other methods have failed to remove or crush the kidney stone.
In this process, a cut in the side and into the kidney is made by the surgeon. The stone is then removed via the opening. To aid urine drainage, a stent is inserted into the ureter. The patient remains unconscious throughout this procedure.
- Lithotripsy: Lithotripsy is the most common and effective treatment for kidney stones. It works by breaking the stones in the ureter, kidney or bladder with shock waves. It is a painless kidney removal treatment since the shock waves are directed at the stones from outside the body, and hence no incision is needed.
Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy and Ureteroscopic Lithotripsy are the two of the most common and efficient techniques for treating kidney stones without pain.
Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy is the most common form of lithotripsy, being a less invasive and painless kidney stone removal treatment. The kidney stones in this procedure are treated using high frequency electromagnetic sound waves.
The ultrasound shock waves fragment the larger stones into tiny dust-like bits, allowing them to pass through urine.
Following are the advantages of Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy:
- This technique does not require any cuts or incisions
- Infection risk is minimal
- Patients get discharged from the hospital on the same day
- It involves negligible pain
- Stones with a diameter of 10-20mm are sought in this procedure
- It is the most effective treatment for ureter and kidney stones
Ureteroscopic Lithotripsy with Holmium Laser treats stones in the kidneys and ureters. In this procedure, the doctor locates and removes the stones using a small scope and a Holmium Laser. These instruments are used to split the stones trapped in the urinary tract into tiny fragments that can be passed by urine.
This procedure involves no cuts and the patient remains unconscious throughout the surgery. The patient may be able to return home the same day after the surgery.
Advantages of Ureteroscopic Lithotripsy with Holmium Laser are as follows:
- It is the most effective treatment for kidney, bladder, and ureteral stones.
- This process has a high success rate.
- No experience of discomfort since the procedure is done under anaesthesia.
- It has the ability to shatter even the hardest stones into sand-like fragments.
- In this procedure, larger as well as several stones can be removed with ease.
- Patients can be discharged from the hospital the same day and can resume their normal routine within two days.
Even after knowing all the types of surgeries, you should make sure to talk to your doctor about the benefits and risks of the surgery on your body before choosing any treatment option. Be sure to ask the doctor about the surgery’s side effects, success rate, hospital stay, etc.
If still in doubt, consult the best hospital for kidney stone treatment in Chandigarh here: https://healinghospital.co.in/best-kidney-hospital-in-chandigarh/