Kidneys play a crucial role in the elimination of waste products and excess fluid from the body. If your kidneys are not working properly then it won’t help your body to remove extra amount of water, salt and waste material which could result in many health problems.
Kidneys also play a major role in controlling blood pressure and regulating important chemicals such as potassium and sodium. When your kidney is unable to do these functions on its own then kidney dialysis can help remove waste and purify blood.
How Kidney Dialysis works?
There are two different types of dialysis used by doctors to treat patients and these are:
- Hemodialysis –In this method, an artificial kidney is used (which is known as hemodialyzer) that removes chemicals and waste from blood. It has access to the body blood with the help plastic tube that is placed in the neck which is also called catheter or in leg or arm (with minor surgical procedure depending on the patient’s comfort).
2. Peritoneal dialysis – This procedure involves implantation of a catheter in the stomach area using surgical method. During this procedure Dialystate (a special fluid) is pumped into the abdomen of patient and this liquid removes waste from the bloodstream.
The dialysis process can be lengthy or very short as it completely depends on the patient’s size, age, hemodialysis or peritoneal usage and level of waste in their body. It requires around four hours for hemodialysis treatment and you have to visit hospital or dialysis center for at least 3 times a week. On the other hand, peritoneal dialysis can be easily done anywhere such as at work, home or while sleeping etc. and it completely depend on the treatment recommended by doctor.
Most dialysis treatments are done at a hospital or in the presence of doctor and required equipment. If you have been treated using machines for consistent time period then you can request your doctor to prepare you for self-administer treatments at home. It is also good option for people who require long-term dialysis treatments.
If you are looking for kidney experts and want to know your options regarding the dialysis then you can book your appointment by clicking here https://healinghospital.co.in/dialysis-center-chandigarh/
What are the benefits of kidney dialysis?
One of the main intent of dialysis is to give human body help so it can work as normal as possible while a patient is waiting for kidney transplant or kidney treatment. Without the help of kidney dialysis, patient blood will accumulate salts and other waste which can be toxic or poisonous for the body. Dialysis is not a cure for the kidney problems but it gives time to patient so that the treatments can be undertaken without risking patient’s life.
Read our post regarding dialysis centre in Chandigarh by clicking here https://healinghospital.co.in/6-steps-towards-choosing-the-best-dialysis-centre-in-chandigarh/
What are the risks involved in Kidney Dialysis?
Dialysis is considered as very safe option, if proper procedure is done using correct equipments but still there are many risks associated with dialysis. These are –
- Low blood pressure
- Bleeding at the access site
- Air bubbles in the blood
- Irregular heartbeat
These may be common risks involved with dialysis but there are other long term risks such as dialysis dementia (a neurological syndrome) that is caused by aluminum compounds which are present in dialysis fluid. Most common symptoms of dialysis dementia includes speech problems, seizures and physical problems.
If you have concerns regarding the risks and what to ensure that you have access to reliable medical services and expert guidance then you should opt to make appointment with us at https://healinghospital.co.in/dialysis-center-chandigarh/
How you should prepare for dialysis?
The foremost thing that your dialysis treatment requires is the access to your body blood, so doctor will surgically insert a device or tube to gain access of blood stream. This is small operation and you don’t have to stay in hospital for long. In fact, you can leave the hospital same day, if procedure is successful.
You should wear very comfortable clothes that allow the doctor to access the port of catheter, easily. You should also follow your doctor’s instructions such as fasting etc. before procedure to avoid any unwanted complications.
What you should expect during dialysis?
You may be treated in different dialysis center or within the similar hospital where catheter is installed in your body. Other things to consider are as follows –
- You will have to visit the similar place for 3 times a week for treatment.
- Each session of your treatment will require 3 to 4 hours, depending on your current medical condition.
- You have to book appointments for your treatments.
You should make sure that you are not missing any dialysis session as that could increase the complications. You should arrive at the desirable place on time as many dialysis centers are very busy and they won’t give you second appointment, if late.
During your dialysis, your blood will flow through a special filter (which is also called artificial kidney) that will remove all sorts of waste and excessive fluids from your blood. Following are the various steps of the dialysis treatment:
- Your access area will be cleaned completely and your weight measurement will be done. They you will be asked to sit on comfortable chair where you will receive treatment.
- Your temperature, blood pressure, heart rate, pulse and breathing will be monitored by doctor.
- Needles will be used in access area to get blood flow in and out of body. It may be uncomfortable for few people.
- If you are uncomfortable then you can ask your doctor to numb that area
- The inserted needles will be attached with dialysis machine so that your blood can flow to the filter and back again into your body.
- During this time, your access place will form a small tunnel (buttonhole) which is similar to pierced ear. Once it formed then you won’t notice needles anymore.
- Your blood pressure and dialysis machine will be monitored by doctor during your entire session.
- You can watch TV, use your laptop, read anything that you like or chat with healthcare provider or other patients.
- After your session, dressing will be done on the access area to avoid infections.
- You may feel tiredness in your body after dialysis session
You can face nausea, dizziness, cramps and headaches during your first few dialysis sessions and you should share your concerns with your healthcare provider. It will help your doctor to adjust treatment according to your comfort.
Read how to locate ‘the best dialysis centre near me’ by clicking here https://healinghospital.co.in/finding-the-best-dialysis-centre-near-me/
How long your dialysis session lasts?
Your dialysis session duration will complete depends on these factors:
- Your kidney condition and how well they are working
- How much waste is present in your blood
- Amount of water weight present in your body
- Your body size and weight
- Type of dialysis machines that are used for treatment
Will you get desired results with dialysis?
Kidney failure is not a permanent condition. Dialysis can be used as temporary aid for kidneys while your body is repairing kidneys naturally or by medical procedures or medications. You have to opt for dialysis process until your own kidney start to function properly. Only in case of chronic kidney failure, you will need dialysis for the rest of your life or until your kidneys are transplanted.
It is of paramount importance that you select a reliable and well-functioning Dialysis centre so that you don’t face any kind of inconvenience or complications. At Healing Hospital we are offering the following facilities:
- We have three dialysis shifts and can accommodate up to 14 patients in one shift & 42 patients in one day.
- We are well equipped with high end machinery.
- We have expanded our dialysis units capacity to provide best quality and offer affordable cost of dialysis to patients near to their house or in proximity to PGI as well
- We are located conveniently in the center of the city beautiful, Chandigarh to ensure easy access to our patients.
- We have the availability of full time nephrologists, kidney specialists, dieticians to help you cure the kidney problems.
- We maintain high standards of hygiene and world class infrastructure to provide satisfactory medical services
The above mentioned reasons make us one of the most sought after Dialysis Centre in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula. To know the cost of dialysis packages, schedule a free tour to our Dialysis Centre and book appointment with senior Nephrologist, click here https://healinghospital.co.in/dialysis-center-chandigarh/