Polycystic Ovaries occurs in women due to hormonal disorder. Presence of high amount of androgen (which is male hormone) is the main cause behind PCOS. This health issue leads to many problems and complications in menstruation and pregnancy.
It is also seen that Polycystic Ovary Syndrome can affect women’s body on different levels and can lead to various other health conditions and medical problems.
Symptoms of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
It is seen that symptoms of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome differs depending on different patients but some of the common symptoms that women experience with PCOS are:
- Irregular Menstruation – If a woman is facing Polycystic Ovary Syndrome then she will lack ovulation that prevents shedding of the uterine each month. In result, you can see irregular menstrual cycle.
This irregularity then affects the fertility and the chances of pregnancy among many women. If you are also experiencing irregular periods then you should surely seek expert advice from an experienced and qualified gynaecologist.
You can contact us to locate the best Gynecology hospital in Chandigarh by clicking at https://healinghospital.co.in/gynecology/
- Acne – Women who have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome can also witness acne on their face and body. It occurs due to excessive production of androgen that assists in storing oil in skin. Your skin will become oiler and chances of acne increases rapidly.
- Weight gain – Obesity is most common problem that is seen among women who are suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.
- Heavy bleeding – It is seen that irregular periods can lead to building-up of uterine lining for long time and when it finally begins to shed then woman has to face heavy periods as compared with normal menstruation.
- Skin ageing and darkening – In lot of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome cases, women may face skin ageing and darkening on their neck, breast and groins. This condition can also occur in patches.
- Headache – Once you have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome then you can also experience frequent headaches as it occurs due to hormonal imbalance in women’s body.
- Unusual hair growth (Hirsutism) – If you are diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome then you may have unusual hair growth on your face and body. It happens due to presence of androgen that increases hair growth.
- Emotional disturbance – Once a woman is diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome then she becomes emotional as there is high chance that she won’t become a mother, normally. Also hormonal changes can increase the problem as women feelings become much intense in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and can lead to mood swings.
If you are facing any of the above-mentioned symptoms then you should not delay in consulting a gynaecologist.
Causes that lead to Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
The main cause of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is still unconfirmed but there are certain factors that are associated with increased production of androgen. Some of these factors can lead to PCOS and these are –
- Inflammation – During medical research, doctors registered that patients with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome have high levels of inflammation in their body. This condition is directly linked with the excessive production of androgen hormone.
- Genes – It is also main cause behind Polycystic Ovary Syndrome as women from family without diabetes mellitus have higher chances of developing Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.
- Excessive Insulin – Insulin play crucial role in using sugar from food and converting it into energy. It also helps in storing the energy in glucose form that can be used by body in future.
When body cells stop responding to insulin then that condition is known as insulin resistance which happens and level of sugar and insulin in the body increases, rapidly. Such conditions lead to the higher production of androgen that causes disturbance in the ovulation.
Health issues that are associated with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome can cause many health problems and these are:
- Sleep Apnea – Once you have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome then you will gain weight and you may experience repeated pauses in breathing especially when you are sleeping in night. This condition is called Sleep Apnea where breathing is disrupted due to increased fat in the neck region and it can at times be fatal.
- Endometrial cancer – There is huge possibility that you may have to face endometrial cancer as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome will thicken the lining in the uterus due to irregular ovulation.
- Infertility – If a woman has Polycystic Ovary Syndrome then that female won’t ovulate regularly and that will prevent production of eggs and fertilization process. This will lead to various issues in pregnancy and many women may face infertility.
- Metabolic syndrome – It is seen that most women who are suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome are overweight and that will increase the risk of high blood sugar, high blood pressure low HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. If these factors are combined together then it is called metabolic syndrome and it can increase the chances of diabetes, heart diseases and stroke.
- Depression – It is also associated with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome as women feel depressed due to unwanted hair growth and hormonal changes.
It is high time that you consult expert doctors and gynaecologist to treat PCOS so that you can eliminate the chances of such serious health issues that can arise if this condition prevails for long. To get immediate medical attention and effective treatment of PCOS, you can contact us at https://healinghospital.co.in/gynecology/
Diagnosis of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
If complications and symptoms of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome are detected in a woman then doctors will recommend various medical tests to verify that it is due to hormonal disorder or due to other health issues.
Your physician will discuss about the symptoms of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and then will do a pelvic exam. It is done to check that ovaries or any other part of reproductive system has any issue or not.
In order to diagnose the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, blood tests and an ultrasound will be required. Ultrasound is reliable way to identify abnormalities in follicles, uterus and ovaries and other complications in reproductive system where as blood test is done to find high level of androgens (male hormone) in patient.
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
There is no cure for the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome but doctors prescribe treatments which can control the symptoms. Primary polycystic ovaries treatment includes different medicines and a healthy lifestyle.
Each patient is treated in different way depending on her condition. The main aim of this treatment includes lowering glucose level, obstructing the growth of acne, weight control, prevent fertility issues and restoration of regular periods. You have to make sure that you are visiting doctors of Gynecology Hospital on each appointment to check progress and effect of medications.
At Healing Hospital, Chandigarh we have highly dedicated and experienced gynaecologists to guide you in reducing the chances of PCOS as well as offering the best and most effective treatment plan to eliminate its repercussions.
We offer proper diagnosis and expert advice to ensure that condition of PCOS is eliminated or reduced considerably so that it doesn’t pose any hindrance to your plans of motherhood and healthy living. In order to book an appointment with our gynecologists and know the spectrum of gynecology treatments provided by us, click here https://healinghospital.co.in/gynecology/